Festival of Fear, Rue Morgue Podcast

Episode 080: JOHN CARPENTER

on August 26, 2012 | 21 Comments

Are you disappointed you couldn’t get up here for the Festival of Fear this year? Or do you blame your Saturday night hangover for missing the John Carpenter Q&A on Sunday?

Well, don’t worry because the Rue Morgue Podcast’s got your back!

Here it is … fresh from the convention floor …

John Carpenter’s Q&A from the 2012 FESTIVAL OF FEAR!

Hosted by Rue Morgue’s Editor-In-Chief Dave Alexander.

p.s. Huge thanks to Andrea “Hellbat” Subissati from The Black Museum for recording this for us!

Responses to Episode 080: JOHN CARPENTER

1. Zombiecat Bryan says:

Another reason drugs are bad, they shorten good interview panels… oh well, thanks for posting this one it was nice to hear while stuck in the hell known as the American bible belt! Looking forward to more!

2. Paul Counelis says:

Listening right now! My favorite living director.

3. Facundo Campos says:

Awesome. I had the pleasure of having my booth right next to Gary Pullin and he said John seemed a little cranky, but he seems fine to me…for an old man that is. I just wished I could’ve asked him what he was on when he created the Silver Shamrock theme in Halloween 3. God, that thing is annoying.

4. JOE ~HART~ says:

“TO ALL OF THE STAFF OF RUE MORGUE MAGAZINE”
    LET ME FIRST SAY THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE TO BRING THE MASTER OF HORROR HIMSELF MR. JOHN CARPENTER TO THE FAN EXPO CANADA 2012.. IT WAS NICE TO SEE BACK IN CANADA NOT SINCE 30 YEARS AGO !”THE THING 1982″ THIS YEAR MARKS THE 30TH ANNIVERSARY FOR HIS MASTER TIMELESS CLASSIC! AND THE SCHOCK TAIL PARTY WAS “OUTSTANDING”!!!!!
    THANK YOU ALL!
    JOE .

Facundo. What was your booth all about?

6. Dave says:

Facundo, I got to chat with Alan about the infamous Silver Shamrock theme song, as he created it. He said that he was instructed by the producers to come up with a jingle that was based on “London Bridge is Falling Down” so there was no chance that they’d get sued. And there you have it…

7. Facundo says:

@Stuart our booth was Raindance Canada, a film training organization.
    @Dave the way I heard it, music was the only way Carpenter was involved with the 3rd one. Oh well.

Great interview. For some reason, I had the impression that Carpenter was a bitter old man these days. But nothing could be further from the truth. He still seems very vibrant, creative and enthusiastic about his life . . . and his drugs. What a guy!

9. Owen Garth says:

John Carpenter is a cool guy and his early films are a great inspiration for aspiring filmmakers. I like his concept of “music when necessary”. Too many movies have been ruined by oppressive soundtracks.

It was a little briefer than I might have hoped but fascinating all the same and a real treat to hear him talk about his craft and inspiration.

Hats off to Hellbat for making such a quality recording of the event!

11. Izzy says:

What was up with the robot asking the questions? ;)

Yeah, there’s a lot of robots going to these cons apparently! ;)

That robot always cracks me up.

Also, Last Chance Lance booing Dave Alexander was priceless.

John Carpenter, master filmmaker: “I really loved THE SOCIAL NETWORK.”

Validation! Suck it, Feedback! ;)

16. Jackie says:

Less than 30 minutes into the panel

“Are you checking your watch?”

Around 30 minutes into the panel

“Gotta go”

Go where, John?

I love John, and I know I’m not alone as I see lots of people making excuses for him here and elsewhere on the internets. Let’s just call a spade a spade. John is doing this for the money. He’s a good guy, but clearly he’d rather be sticking ice picks in his balls than to have to sit around convention hall answering variations on the same 3 or 4 questions over and over. He was once quoted as saying his goal in filmmaking was to simply keep himself in smokes and beer for the rest of his life. Well, he must be running on low for both as well as his funds.

He’s not overtly rude, but I don’t enjoy paying $30 for an auto from a guy who acts like he just wants to get this over with. Some filmmakers see their jobs as just a regular vocation like an accountant, brick layer or whatever and don’t understand why the fuss. They just want to make films and avoid the fan side of things. I believe John is one of those. Too bad he’s being forced to do something in his 60s he so clearly doesn’t enjoy doing.

I suppose someone had to say it, Jackie!

I’ll be reading this on an upcoming show.

18. Paul Counelis says:

I think that’s maybe a bit overly harsh. Yes, I’m a Carpenter slappy; I’ve been disappointed by some of his recent output so I don’t have Carp colored glasses on, but it’s not a personal failing to enjoy doing other things much more than basically reiterating the same answers at conventions. How many times do we need to hear him say “I was happy that ‘The Thing’ finally found an audience”? I don’t know if I agree that he CLEARLY doesn’t enjoy doing it anymore, but he’s a cranky old dude, after all. Sure, he’s probably super bored of answering the same questions over and over, but he’s always been one to get a little snippy with that situation, really. Though there is no excuse for him acting that way over a fan who just wants a handshake and an auto for their $30, of course.

All that said, I’m not saying that I disagree with your assessment since it touched more on the convention aspect, but even as a “blue collar” filmmaker, he would be nearing retirement age. Not too many people who did so well with their early creative output can keep up that level of inspiration for decades; very few, really. As Sting once noted, “You can’t bully the muse”, and he never really did seem to love interview situations, so it’s not like he just started to “mail it in” at cons…though he does give great commentary.

To your point, maybe he should just say “no” and stay home to watch basketball.

19. Paul Counelis says:

Put another way: maybe he’s giving us a look into his real feelings instead of pretending to love doing con panels. As a professional courtesy, he could probably act a little more receptive, but I think he’s fully aware of the way he’s perceived and thinks that the audience will probably even get a kick out of him living up to the amusing curmudgeon status.

Carpenter is very entertaining in these situations so if he doesn’t enjoy them, it’s a shame. He’s very candid, blunt and funny. I could listen to him all day.

BUT…

I have to say that giving the fans the impression that he didn’t want to be there wasn’t very great. The folks there had paid money, travelled a great distance and are the heart of soul of what keeps the legacy of his film’s alive (as Carpenter knows too well, the movie industry doesn’t give a fuck, hence his bitterness.)

But the fans do! So….he should treat them a little more preciously.

After having said that, we know he’s a cantankerous old bugger and we accept it and make allowances – so it’s all good. And who knows? Maybe that WAS his drug dealer.

And I have to hand it to Dave Alexander for forcing the point and keeping him on the hook longer than he CLEARLY wanted to be there.