By MICHAEL GINGOLD
One of the all-time great lycanthropictures is coming to hi-def disc, and the complete specs can be found below, along with the art.
Shout! Factory releases the Hammer production THE CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF on Collector’s Edition Blu-ray April 21 under the Scream Factory banner. Directed by Terence Fisher and scripted by John Elder, it stars Oliver Reed as an orphan who grows up to discover that he harbors a beast within. The movie will be presented in 1080p high-definition 2:00.1 widescreen from a new 4K scan from the interpositive, with DTS-HD mono Master Audio. The special features are:
- New audio commentary by actress Yvonne Romain, special makeup effects artist Mike Hill and composer Leslie Bricusse
- New audio commentary by author/film historian Steve Haberman and filmmaker/film historian Constantine Nasr
- New “The Men Who Made Hammer–Roy Ashton”
- New “Serial Killer–Benjamin Frankel, Serialism and THE CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF”
- New “The Making of THE CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF,” including interviews with actors Catherine Feller and Yvonne Romain, makeup effects artist Mike Hill, art director Don Mingaye, art department member Margaret Robinson and filmmaker Jimmy Sangster
- “Lycanthropy: The Beast in All of Us”
- “Censoring the Werewolf”
- Theatrical trailer
- Trailers From Hell with commentary by filmmaker John Landis
- Radio spot
- Still gallery
Retail price is $29.99, and the disc can be pre-ordered from the Shout! Factory website for $28.43; those orders will come with an exclusive rolled 18×24-inch poster featuring the new cover art while supplies last.