By MICHAEL GINGOLD
A pair of Italian sleazemeister Joe D’Amato’s best-known bloodfests have been restored for Blu-ray release by Severin Films next month. Keep reading for all the details and the cover art.
Severin issues ANTHROPOPHAGOUS (pictured, a.k.a. THE GRIM REAPER) and ABSURD (a.k.a. THE MONSTER HUNTER) on separate Blu-rays September 25, sporting new 2K scans from the original negatives and reversible covers. ANTHROPOPHAGOUS, in which tourists on a remote island are stalked and savaged by a disfigured cannibal (George Eastman), and ABSURD, with Eastman again as a sadistic slasher terrorizing suburbia, were both classified as “video nasties” during the UK horror-VHS witchhunts of the 1980s, and each will be accompanied by numerous special features:
- “Don’t Fear the Man-Eater”: Interview with writer/star Luigi Montefiori, a.k.a. George Eastman
- “The Man Who Killed the Anthropophagus”: Interview with actor Saverio Vallone
- “Cannibal Frenzy”: Interview with FX artist Pietro Tenoglio
- “Brother and Sister in Editing”: Interview with editor Bruno Micheli
- “Inside Zora’s Mouth”: Interview with actress Zora Kerova
- ROSSO SANGUE: Alternate Italian cut with optional English subtitles
- “The Return of the Grim Reaper”: Interview with actor/writer/co-producer Luigi Montefiore, a.k.a. George Eastman
- “D’Amato on Video”: Archive interview with director Aristide Massaccesi, a.k.a. Joe D’Amato
- “A Biker (Uncredited)”: Interview with filmmaker/extra Michele Soavi
Also available (exclusively at the Severin webstore) are bundles including an ANTHROPOPHAGOUS plush toy (with pull-out intestines!), two new enamel pins from Pseudo Ludo and a brand-new ANTHROPOPHAGOUS T-shirt from Pallbearer Press. See and ad for the plushie and trailer for the movies below.